Middle and High School Core Faculty: STEM Emphasis
Explorations Academy provides meaningful, life-changing educational experiences for middle and high school students. Our campus is located in Bellingham WA, nestled between the Salish Sea and the North Cascades, but our field programs have included urban and backcountry settings on five continents. Our staff is composed of dynamic and engaging individuals who are skilled in connecting with students and demonstrate a clear commitment to the value of independent education. Faculty play a central role in our organization, not just teaching, but in setting organizational priorities, program development, and situating our work within a larger context of educational leadership. This position requires commitment, creativity, and flexibility. It also represents a unique opportunity to be part of shaping the future of a small independent school.
• Organize, teach, and evaluate courses across disciplines
• Organize and co-lead field orientations, backpacking trips, field learning intensives, and international courses varying in length from 1-30+ days
• Collaborate with fellow teachers to design, prepare, and present interdisciplinary curricula based on the Explorations cluster model
• Serve in a advising role with individual students (academic, personal, and career counseling)
• Support the school community through participation in fundraising and other school functions
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in a STEM or education-related field
• Demonstrated ability to develop and teach immersive (including experiential and project-based) courses
• Experience with interdisciplinary course design and instruction
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Ability to supervise students and manage risk in the outdoors
• A genuine interest and an appreciation for adolescents
• Ability to teach lab science and mathematics
• Post-graduate degree
• Valid WA state teaching certificate
• Advanced outdoor/medical training (WFR/EMT)
• Wilderness trip-leading experience (NOLS, Outward Bound, etc.)
• Experience with curriculum design
• Familiarity with progressive pedagogies and school design
• Spanish language fluency
This position requires incredible amounts of passion, dedication, flexibility, a high tolerance for adaptation, and a special measure of brilliance. Please provide an electronic resume and cover letter to bacchus@explorationsacademy.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital status, national and ethnic origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status in accordance with the requirements of local, state, and federal law. Fingerprint records and background check as required by Washington State law.