Head of School
The Head of School will supervise teachers and staff, oversee academic instruction, and manage day-to-day operations of the school. Above all, the Head of School is responsible for driving a school culture that fosters the development of the whole child and invites intellectual curiosity and an inner drive to succeed academically. The Head of School may be asked to teach at least one course in Spanish, Science or the Humanities and to attend some field outings.
The ideal candidate is both confident and humble, visionary and flexible, with strong operational skills and the ability to inspire a team. Depth in adolescent behavior and learning is a prized quality. Knowing how to use nature and community settings as classroom is also ideal. The Head of School will enjoy a fair amount of autonomy in how to best champion the values of Explorations Academy.
- Support a collaborative mission-driven environment that engages, challenges, and inspires our team towards excellence
- Delegate responsibilities based on skill sets of staff members
- Maintain good relationships with faculty, staff, and students
- Develop and uphold school-wide policy and procedures manual
- Oversee curriculum development in collaboration with staff
- Govern admissions process
- Make staffing decisions
- Build relationships with parents
- Develop and uphold disciplinary policies & academic integrity
- Oversee maintenance of all school facilities, equipment, and vehicles
- With finance team, develop program budgets and monitor expenditures
In the Field
- Monitor plans and learning outcomes for field experiences
- Collaborate in the planning and development of the annual international expedition
In the Community
- Engage in fundraising and marketing activities
- Represent Explorations Academy at all school and community events
Establish and maintain relationships with local schools and community members
- Master’s degree preferred with at least 2 years of successful leadership experience in an academic and/or outdoor experiential environment
- WA State Teacher’s Certification Preferred
- Experience in delivering programs for students of various socioeconomic and academic backgrounds
- A creative, visionary mindset
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain relationships with students, families, schools, and community support systems
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, leading a team, and as a collaborative team member
- Salary commensurate with experience
To apply please email a brief cover letter and concise résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 30.
- We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital status, national and ethnic origin, political affiliation, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected status in accordance with the requirements of local, state, and federal law. Fingerprint records and background check as required by Washington State law.